If you have a large vehicle you only use during parts of the year, such as an RV or boat, you understand how difficult it can be to find a place to store them. There is often limited space or even city limitations disallowing you to park your vehicle at your home, a threat of damage or theft and cost. A simple cost effective and hassle free place to store your toys is at a self storage facility.
RV self storage offers owners security, protection, convenience and extra space from the hassle of attempting to park the RV at their homes. Below we offer RV storage tips so you can be fully prepared once you make your decision to store.
- Check the dimensions of the storage unit. RV’s typically require at least 30 ft of length in order to park and fully store.
- Do not forget to include extra footage for all of your extra equipment with the RV
- Be sure to bring your proof of vehicle registration, insurance and drivers license when you rent from the facility as they may ask to see them since property is not covered by the facilities insurance
- Do not place a tarp over the RV as this can reduce air flow and increase the potential of mold growth and mildew
- Be sure to winterize your RV before storing it. Remove all of the water from the tanks and pipes and remove the batteries. If you can, store your RV on pallets so the tires are off of the ground as well.
- Inside parking for your RV is probably the most desirable but outside covered parking for your RV is more reasonable. If you have the opportunity to park your RV inside, open a roof or vent to allow moist air to escape.
- If you do have an indoor RV storage unit, lay down cardboard or mats in order to prevent damage to the storage unit floor.
- Be sure the storage facility has safe propane storage and water use to fill up the tanks in your RV
- Clean and remove the RV battery and store it in a cool place.
The safety, security, convenience and extra space a RV storage unit provides will be more than enough to allow you to relax and not worry about your RV when it is not in use. We hope these RV tips aid you in your search for the perfect storage facility!
Latest posts by SSF Team (see all)
- Store Your Skateboard: Face It, It’s Time - July 14, 2015
- FAQ: 10 Myths About Self Storage - September 16, 2014
- FAQ: What Happens If My Storage Unit Is Destroyed? - September 11, 2014