Whether you’re preparing for a big move or just doing some intense summer cleaning it helps to get organized. This summer I am taking on a big home improvement project by having my floors redone. Over the past couple of weeks I have been cleaning, moving things into self storage and reorganizing. I’ve composed a check list of some of the things I’ve been doing to get my house ready for this project.
- Start early – When I first began moving my belongings out of the rooms where I am having the floor redone I realized that I should of started early because I have way more stuff than I had anticipated. Starting early will allow you enough time to pack.
- Make a List – Make a list of where the current items in the room or house are going, such as other rooms in the house, storage units or local charities. Keep an accurate record of the inventory so when it comes time to look for an item you will know where the item is placed.
- Schedule Time – Leave yourself enough time to pack. Create a time line for when items on your check list should be completed. Putting off packing can be easy; however by setting a deadline for yourself you will be more motivated to complete the task on time.
- Delegate – When moving with other family members or roommates it helps to divide up the work, all parties should be involved in creating the time schedule so each person knows when tasks are due.
- Progress – Keep record of your progress so you know if you are falling behind schedule. This will give you a good indication of the time frame that things are being completed so you can either move up your schedule of revise your schedule if you’re falling behind.
Latest posts by SSF Team (see all)
- Store Your Skateboard: Face It, It’s Time - July 14, 2015
- FAQ: 10 Myths About Self Storage - September 16, 2014
- FAQ: What Happens If My Storage Unit Is Destroyed? - September 11, 2014