Visit your top self storage locations and get a good feel for the facility so you feel comfortable when it comes time to leave your belongings at the self storage unit.
Call the facilities before you plan on visiting to make sure that the storage operator will be available to give you a tour of the storage facility.
Although visiting each facility may seem like an inconvenience for you, it will reveal things about the facility that their website won’t tell you. You will want to pay close attention to how the location of the facility looks and its surrounding neighborhood. Look at whether or not the facility is easy to access and the condition of the storage units. Has the storage facility been maintained and well taken care of? Here are some key things to look for during your visit.
- When you arrive at the facility look around the property grounds to see if the facility is well maintained and clean.
- Look at the property’s fencing and gate making sure that there are no broken or weak points in the fence.
- Are there properly working lights around the perimeter and inside the facility? Are there working surveillance cameras?
- Inside of the office look to see if it is clean and taken care of.
- Does the manager greet you when you walk into the office? Is he paying attention to whoever walks onto the property?
- Do you feel comfortable bringing and leaving your belongings here?
- Are you allowed to view an actual storage unit? Is the unit clean and rentable?
- Do you feel safe visiting the facility?
Take notes during each visit so you can eliminate locations from your list that do not measure up to your standards.
Latest posts by SSF Team (see all)
- Store Your Skateboard: Face It, It’s Time - July 14, 2015
- FAQ: 10 Myths About Self Storage - September 16, 2014
- FAQ: What Happens If My Storage Unit Is Destroyed? - September 11, 2014